Cleat Replacement Interval
It is recommended that cleats be replaced every 3000-5000 miles (5000-8000 kilometers).
Earlier replacement may be required in the following cases:
- The base plate or spring housing show excessive deformation
- A cleat spring or spring housing breaks
- The system experiences excess lateral rocking
These scenarios can be mitigated through proper cleat care and maintenance.
Cleat Care and Maintenance
To ensure proper engagement and release and to extend the life of the cleats:
- Carefully follow the installation instructions described in the Wahoo Speedplay Cleat Quick Start Guide.
- Keep the cleats free of debris and clean them after a particularly dirty ride.
- Regularly lubricate the cleat springs with a PTFE-based dry lubricant (ex. Finish Line Dry) and wipe away any excess.
- Rotate your ankle outward to unclip and avoid pulling upward.
- Replace all cleat subparts when replacing cleats, including base plates.