How does steering work?
In RGT, most roads are divided into lanes. A rider occupies 2 lanes. Pressing a steering button will move the rider over one lane. Pressing and holding will continuously move the rider over lanes.
Steering allows users a more realistic ride environment and the opportunity to act strategically by cornering most efficiently in a turn, drafting a rider ahead of them, or navigating around them to pass. Conversely, users can steer to both prevent another rider from drafting them and potentially slow another rider's progress. Steering can also be used to a limited extent to bump or push another rider laterally. Riders cannot be pushed off of the course entirely, only to an edge.
In-app steering modes:
A rider overtaking a slower rider will automatically “avoid” the slower rider in front of them if cycling at higher power by moving into one of the adjacent lanes. Direction of movement around blocking rider is random.
This is the default status until manual input is received. Auto-avoidance is disabled automatically once the user steers manually, and is re-enabled automatically if no steering input is received for 30 seconds while riding. A message will appear on the ride app screen to announce both auto-avoidance turning off and back on. Auto-avoidance mode can be toggled between:  auto,  on, and  off using the ride or remote app interfaces.
Auto-avoidance is distinct from previous auto-steering in that a rider is generated into a randomly selected lane at ride start. If no steering input is provided, the rider will remain in that lane unless they overtake a slower rider, at which point they will be moved into one of the adjacent lanes by auto-avoidance, where they will remain unless overtaking another slower rider. They will no longer be automatically moved into the draft of other riders or optimal cornering position without active steering input.
Steer using one of the hardware control options below. Using physical buttons on a KICKR BIKE or computer keyboard, on-screen buttons on the primary or remote RGT app, or the paddles of the KICKR STEER accessory in conjunction with the RGT remote app, a user can move left or right incrementally or continuously by tapping or holding the respective button.
Stopped / "Ghost" mode
When a rider stops pedaling and comes to a stop, their avatar will enter “ghost" mode. This will allow active riders to pass through them without needing to avoid them by steering or auto-avoidance.
To enjoy steering, you will need to update to version 2023.01.26 or newer.
Apple TV requires a separate input device interface (either KICKR BIKE or the RGT Remote App) to control steering.
Steering control options
|Device / App||Auto Avoidance||KICKR BIKE||RGT Remote App (with or without KICKR STEER)||RGT App||Keyboard||3rd Party BT Buttons|
KICKR BIKE (using RGT app for iOS, Android, Mac, PC, or Apple TV)
- In the RGT app, navigate to Menu > Sensors and ensure the BIKE is selected for Power, Cadence, Control, and ‘KICKR Buttons’.
- Once in a ride, use the thumb buttons on the inside of the shifter hoods to move left and right, either tapping (to move one lane over) or holding (to move more continuously in that direction.
- Please note -- In order to make use of the interior hood buttons for steering, the BIKE cannot be configured for Campagnolo shifters. If configured for Campagnolo, the user will need to either reconfigure the BIKE by pairing the BIKE to the Wahoo Fitness app and navigating to Settings > Sensors > KICKR BIKE > Shifting to select an alternative shifter configuration, or use one of the other control options below
KICKR STEER (using the RGT Remote app, and RGT app for Mac, PC, or Apple TV)
Available for sale at wahoofitness.com.
- In the RGT Remote App, select the screen rotation icon in the top middle for landscape mode and place the phone in the STEER's tray.
- Select the Steering tab and toggle Tilt Control on.
- When the STEER is level, tap the Calibrate button to set the balance point for the phone's accelerometers and/or gyroscope.
- Start riding and set the Sensitivity to what feels comfortable for you.
- Tap or press down on the STEER's paddles to initiate a turn in that direction.
App Buttons (using the RGT Remote app, and RGT app for Mac, PC, or Apple TV, without KICKR STEER)
- Select the Steering tab and toggle Tilt Control off.
- Start riding.
- Tap or hold the arrow buttons at the left or right edge of the Remote App screen to initiate a turn in that direction.
App Buttons (using the RGT app for iOS, Android, or Windows*)
- In the RGT app, start a ride.
- Tap or hold the arrow buttons at the left or right edge of the screen to initiate a turn in that direction.
- *Windows instance requires a touchscreen compatible laptop interface.
Keyboard (using the RGT app for Mac or Windows PC)
- In the RGT app, start a ride.
- Tap or hold the A or D keys on the keyboard to initiate a left [A] or right [D] turn.
KICKR BIKE buttons
- If steering is unresponsive, confirm the shifters are otherwise functional. If not, troubleshoot BIKE shifting issues.
- In order to make use of the interior hood buttons for steering, the BIKE cannot be configured for Campagnolo shifters. If configured for Campagnolo, the user will need to either reconfigure the BIKE by pairing the BIKE to the Wahoo Fitness app and navigating to Settings > Sensors > KICKR BIKE > Shifting to select an alternative shifter configuration, or use one of the other control options mentioned above.
- In the RGT app, navigate to Menu > Sensors and ensure the BIKE is selected for ‘KICKR Buttons’ on the far right of the Sensors page.
- If using the RGT Remote App, select the Steering tab and attempt to use the Remote App buttons.
- If the Remote app works but the BIKE buttons do not, troubleshoot BIKE shifting issues.
- If unresolved, please note your RGT app version, BIKE serial number (located on a sticker on the back of the center mast below the crank), email address used in the RGT/Wahoo app, be prepared to provide proof of purchase, and submit a support request with details of the issue and what you have done to address it so far.
RGT Remote App
- If steering is unresponsive, force restart the Remote app.
- If unresolved, log out of the Remote app, force restart the remote app, and log back in.
- If unresolved, please note your RGT app version, device model and operating system, email address used in the RGT/Wahoo app, and submit a support request with details of the issue and what you have done to address it so far.