Because variables like temperature can influence power meter accuracy, we always recommended to manually calibrate POWRLINK ZERO before riding.
Manually Calibrate from the Wahoo App:
- When the pedals are first attached, remember to perform 2-3 quick standing track starts (pedaling hard from a standstill) before initial calibration to ensure proper mechanical seating and settling to ensure performance consistent with regular use.
- Open the Wahoo Fitness App for iOS or Android and connect to POWRLINK ZERO by clicking Edit to the right of LINKED SENSORS, then use the Add New Sensor button to find POWRLINK ZERO. Always update to the newest firmware, if prompted.
- Once paired, click on the linked sensor from the bottom of the workout tab and scroll down to Calibrate. Confirm your crank length in the app, then perform a Zero Offset Calibration following the instructions on screen.
Manually Calibrate from ELEMNT GPS Bike Computers:
- Upon initial setup and with the pedals attached, perform 2-3 quick standing track starts (by simply pedaling hard from a standstill) before initial calibration to ensure proper mechanical seating and settling to ensure performance consistent with regular use.
- Next, follow the steps outlined in How do I calibrate a Power Meter with the ELEMNT?
POWRLINK ZERO also calibrates automatically after a ride any time the bike sits in a normal vertical riding position and untouched for longer than 30 seconds to maximize power accuracy.
Power accuracy of both power meters and trainers can be affected by a variety of factors.
If using POWRLINK ZERO with a trainer, be aware that no two power meters give exactly the same reading. Multiple identical, simultaneously broadcasting power meters have been empirically proven to report different power numbers, even during the same workout.
Factors responsible for these discrepancies include:
- Drivetrain efficiency losses
- Freedom of motion
- Data transmission rate
- Packet loss
- Wireless interference
- Sensor or strain gauge location
- Differences during calibration
- Battery life
- Accuracy tolerances
- Leg imbalances
Additionally, trainer power accuracy tolerances combine with other power meter's tolerances. This means that if a trainer is rated to +/- 2% accuracy and your power meter is rated to +/- 1%, total combined accuracy tolerance will be +/- 3% at any given time.