When connecting your sensors, if you're connecting a smart trainer or power meter AND a speed sensor (or your trainer reports speed), you will have the option to choose speed reported from your sensor or to choose Virtual Speed. Virtual speed is calculated based on your power output and more closely represents outdoor speed than straight speed reported from a speed sensor.
What Is Virtual Speed?
We have created a formula that uses some simple physics equations to calculate speed from your power data. We use Virtual Speed to calculate the distance for your ride.
If your power meter or trainer does not show calculated speed or distance, or if these numbers are inaccurate, you may want to connect to Virtual Speed instead as it will provide more consistent speed and distance data.
How Does The Formula Work?
We are starting with a simple model that calculates speed from power instantaneously. Here is what we use to calculate it:
- Current Speed - From the sensors you have connected to SYSTM (when applicable)
- Power Output - From your smart trainer, power meter, or virtual watts setup
- Rider Weight - From your profile information
- Bike Weight - 9kg
- Rolling Resistance - 0.005
- Head Wind - 0kph
- Temperature - 0 C
- Elevation - 0 Meters
- Position - Hands on the hoods
How Does This Affect Me?
- If you have a power meter that doesn’t report speed, this means that your rides will now show as having speed and distance in other apps.
- If you have a power meter, smart trainer, or Virtual Watts trainer, the speed and distance reported in the .fit file to other apps will now use Virtual Speed.
Can I Disable Virtual Speed?
You can select speed from a sensor or smart trainer that you have connected to the app as long as you aren't using Virtual Watts. Virtual Watts users don't have an option to disable Virtual Speed.
How Do I Disable Virtual Speed?
Open the device connections menu and connect your trainer and sensors.
You will notice that Virtual Speed is enabled by default.
Now click the speed icon next to your smart trainer or speed sensor
Now the app will use the speed supplied by your smart trainer or speed sensor instead of Virtual Speed.