ELEMNT, BOLT, and ROAM can now pair with rear view radar systems (like the Garmin Varia) following the same pairing procedure as any other ANT+ sensor (instructions here).
Note: Other ANT+ enabled tail lights (without radar functions) like those from Bontrager are not supported.
- ELEMNT/BOLT/ROAM updated to firmware ending in 5027 (released 26 August, 2019) or newer
- If using the first generation Garmin Varia, it must be also be updated to the newest firmware
Radar Settings On ELEMNT computers
Once your ANT+ radar is paired, additional settings (including mute) may be accessed by opening the settings menu with the left side button and selecting MORE while the sensor is highlighted on the list. Toggle between the options below by pressing the right button with ALERT MODE highlighted.
- ON: Radar Enabled
- OFF: Radar Disabled
- MUTE: Visuals remain as set in ELEMNT App Settings (on-screen/left LEDs and top LEDs), but no beeps or sounds are played.
Radar Settings in the ELEMNT companion app
To edit radar settings in the ELEMNT app, go to the Settings page > Set up sensors > Bike Radar > Alert Settings.
|Alerts On/Off||On/Off||Toggles radar features on or off|
|Location of car representation||On-screen channel or Left LEDs||On the ELEMNT/ROAM, changes between showing cars on the main screen or on the left side LEDs|
|Sounds||On/Off||Enables or disables radar alert sounds|
|Top status LEDs||On/Off||Enables or disables radar alerts displaying on the top LEDs. On the ROAM or ELEMNT, this option is only available when on-screen mode is enabled for car representation.|
Varia Radar performance specifications (as defined by Garmin)
The radar detects approaching vehicles up to 140m (153 yards) away.
The approaching vehicle speed must be from 10 to 160 km/h (from 6 to 99 mph).
NOTE: The radar does not detect vehicles traveling at the same speed as your bike.
The radar beam width is 40 degrees. It provides radar coverage for typical bends in the road.
The radar can detect up to eight approaching vehicles.
- The vehicle position moves up the column as a vehicle gets closer to your bike. The threat level changes color based on the potential level of threat.
- Green indicates no vehicle is detected.
- Amber indicates a vehicle is approaching.
- Red indicates a vehicle is advancing at a high rate of speed.
A fast vehicle is detected (any vehicle faster than 90km/h (55mph) relative to the bike or any vehicle significantly faster than the average vehicle speed).
A slow-moving cyclist is being tracked behind you and a new vehicle is detected in the distance.
For further questions/concerns regarding Varia performance, please contact Garmin Support.