This page describes how to update firmware from an iOS device. For Android devices, see How to Update Wahoo Smart Trainer Firmware (Android).
Note: the Wahoo Smart Trainer firmware can only be updated from iOS and Android devices.
Wahoo updates your KICKR's firmware (a kind of software) frequently to deliver the best indoor training experience possible. Ensuring you have the latest firmware resolves many issues, keeping you cranking and on the podium.
- A Bluetooth® enabled iOS device on iOS 10.0 or newer
- Your iOS device actively connected to the internet over WiFi
- The Wahoo app for iOS
- A KICKR that is not connected to any additional apps or devices (ensure previously connected devices are off/disabled and no other apps are running in the background)
Ensure Bluetooth is enabled in your iOS settings and that your device is within 5 feet of the KICKR, then follow these steps to pair your KICKR:
- Open the Wahoo app and check that your KICKR is plugged in and powered on.
- Select LINKED SENSORS in the bottom section of the Workout page.
- Select Add New Sensor if you have yet to pair your trainer. Otherwise, simply select your already saved trainer and tap Update Firmware (which appears any time an update is available), then skip to step 7.
- Choose your KICKR from the list of available sensors.
- Once certain you are connected to the correct trainer, select Save Sensor, choose the workout profiles you would like your KICKR to be active for (ex. Indoor Cycling), then tap Done in the upper right corner.
- Upon establishing a connection with your KICKR, the Wahoo Fitness app will determine if your KICKR's firmware is out of date. If an update is available, the app will display a prompt to Update Now.
- Click Update Now and leave your iOS device near the KICKR until the update is complete.
- Once the update is finished, you're prompted to toggle Bluetooth® off and back on in the iOS Settings app to refresh the connection. We also recommend you restart your trainer by unplugging it for 30 seconds after an update.
Your Wahoo smart trainer is now on the latest firmware and ready to ride!
If you encounter issues updating, please take a look at our signal interference article to eliminate possible conflicts with other devices, then try again.