The ELEMNT and BOLT require internet-connected WiFi to the bike computer directly for automatic workout uploads, firmware updates, route or map downloads, Strava Live Segment synchronization and other internet-enabled features. If you're having trouble with an internet-based feature, it's a good idea to check that connection is still active following these steps.
To connect the ELEMNT or BOLT to WiFi:
- Navigate to the Settings page in the ELEMNT Companion App with the ELEMNT actively paired (see instructions)
- Scroll down to WiFi and select WiFi Network
- Select a network ID from the list, then enter the password if prompted
"WiFi connection successful" will display once connected. Connected networks are saved on the ELEMENT and BOLT and will automatically reconnect when in range, even when disconnected from the ELEMNT Companion App for automatic uploads to any linked accounts (like Strava, etc).
For those trying to connect to a cellular phone's WiFi hotspot, please see the Travel Help article.
If you are unable to get your ELEMNT to join a particular WiFi network, check the following:
- ELEMNT and BOLT only support 2.4GHz wireless networks. Though 5GHz networks can be present without causing interference, the ELEMNT can not connect to 5GHz wireless networks directly.
- The ELEMNT only connects to WiFi channels 1 - 11. Though most WiFi routers will auto-select a channel from 1 - 11, on some routers it's possible for the channel to be set outside this range manually. Please check your router settings following manufacturer instructions.
Note to those in the UK and EU: routers need to use channels 1 - 9 exclusively to ensure communication with our US servers.
- The ELEMNT does not support WiFi networks that require a splash page to connect (802.1x EAP networks). These are often found in hotels, restaurants, and airports which send devices to web pages for authentication or to require certain terms before browsing the internet.
- The ELEMNT can connect a mobile hotspot provided it's not created on the same phone the ELEMNT is paired to.
- If issues persist, try forgetting the network from the ELEMNT companion app setup section as pictured above, rebooting the router, and reconnecting.
- As a final step, check to see if you still have issues by using another WiFi connection entirely.